Who are we?
We are the Mountaineering Section of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC), a non-profit corporation, devoted to responsible use of the outdoor resource. The premier rock climbing, ice climbing and mountaineering club serving the D.C. Metro area since 1937. We are a diverse group of local climbers. Young and old, male and female, crag rat and alpinist, active and armchair types. We all enjoy climbing in its many varieties. We also share a common interest in promoting safe climbing, conserving the outdoor resource, developing new climbing skills, representing the DC Metro climbing community and having fun doing it! We climb daily and have weekly events such as climbing at Carderock on Wednesdays in the climbing season. We also plan annual trips all over the country and in our backyard of DC.
What do we do?
- CLIMB! Whether local or further afield, nearly every weekend our members are out climbing. Each year, several expedition-minded people, organize longer trips.
- INFORM! We publish a newsletter, the UPROPE, which is now online. The newsletter details recent Club events, articles, book reviews and the latest and greatest climbing related news of interest submitted by the membership. Members have access to all historical UpRopes. Guests are welcome to download and view the latest edition here: Latest UpRope!
- TEACH! We provide instruction for those who want to learn the basics and supplemental instruction through clinics given by members; we are NOT a school but learn by doing. We can get members up a rope in no time.
- LEARN! We sponsor lectures by climbers. Guest lecturers have included: Hans Florine, Jules Lines, Rosie Andrews, Fred Beckley, Greg Collins, John Harlin, Lynn Hill, Jeff Lowe, Paul Piana, Marc Richey, Doug Scott, Mark Wilford and Jimmy Chin.
- SHARE! We manage a forum where members can communicate and post impromptu climbing trips and discuss climbing issues. We use a full service website medium to share information on activities, current events & notices, the membership database, club photo galleries, trips, and membership information.
- MEET! We gather for a monthly meeting to discuss club business, enjoy a slide show and socialize with area climbers. We meet at the PATC headquarters (118 Park Street, SE, Vienna, VA) on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00pm. Everyone is invited.
- SUPPORT! We have grant programs available for members to apply to each year. Programs include the Expedition Grant (max $500), Single-Pitch Instructor (SPI) Test Reimbursement Grant ($400) and the Wilderness First Responder Reimbursement Grant ($400). Details about these grants can be found under the Members Only Section.