- This event has passed.
Annual Seneca Rocks Chili Cook-off and Climbing Weekend
October 15, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - October 17, 2021 @ 9:00 amFree
Annual Seneca Rocks Chili Cookoff Trip
Friday, October 15 – Sunday October 17
(cookoff Saturday evening)
Seneca Rocks, West Virginia
OPEN TO ALL – BRING YOUR OWN CLIMBING PARTNER!
This fun annual gathering serves as the last big event to closeout another amazing rock climbing season, and to commemorate the fall of the Gendarme pinnacle at Seneca on October 22, 1987. Join us for a weekend of climbing, good food, and hanging out!
This is not a PATC-MS-only event; however, you need to sign up if you would like to stay at our campsite for free.
The club is reserving a group campsite at Seneca Shadows. We will have the site from Friday through check-out at 1pm on Sunday. Please work together to utilize the space on each tent pad to its maximum; all tents must be on the pads. Please also try to refrain from using a larger tent for just one person.
Seneca is an almost exclusively trad multi-pitch area with limited opportunities for top-roping. There are some sport climbing areas within a reasonable drive of Seneca (Reed’s Creek and Smokehole).
This event is for members and registered guests of members.
A few reminders….
- The parking at the Group Site will fill up.
- Don’t leave your car at the site when the parking area is full. Pull around to the overflow area (by the walk-in sites).
- The Group Site itself might fill up.
- If you know you are arriving late you might want to know about other options, like the walk-in sites or Princess Snowbird.
If you want to compete in the chili contest…
- Make 1 gallon, or more, of your favorite chili recipe and submit it by 5:30pm on the front porch of the Gendarme
- $5 entry fee
- Judging will begin at 6pm
- Only one category will be judged: best overall. Winner takes the total entry fees plus $50 kicked in by The Gendarme.
- Judging will be by an impartial (and hopefully sober) panel
- Bowls for judging will be provided when the entry fee is paid. The rest is up to you. The Gendarme does not have facilities for heating chili up.
IF YOU WANT TO EAT CHILI….
- Please bring your own bowl, cup, and spoon to reduce waste
- Be there by 5:30pm!!
Kegs will be tapped when the time comes, but normally around 5:30. Bring donations!
Throughout the night there will be an on-going raffle to benefit Friends of Seneca.
Tickets are 2 for $5, or 5 for $10. There’ll be a variety of prizes!
At dark there will be a guest presentation…TBA.
This is a rain or shine event. See y’all out there!