Who we are?
We are the Mountaineering Section of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC), a non-profit organization that protects the trail and lands of the Appalachian Trail along with other trails and facilities in the Mid-Atlantic region.
PATC-MS has been the premier rock climbing, ice climbing and mountaineering club serving the D.C. Metro area since 1937. We are a diverse group of local climbers who share a common interest in promoting environmentally responsible climbing and having fun while doing it!
What we do
- CLIMB! Whether local or further afield, almost every weekend our members are out climbing. Each year, several expedition-minded people organize longer trips.
- INFORM! We publish a newsletter, the UPROPE, that details recent club events, articles, book reviews and the latest and greatest climbing-related news of interest submitted by the membership. Members have access to all historical editions of UpRope. Guests are welcome to download and view the latest edition here: Link to Latest UpRope!
- MENTOR! Many of our members have decades of climbing experience and serve as mentors to those who want to learn the basics as well as more advanced skills. We are NOT a climbing school or guide service.
- LEARN! We sponsor lectures by climbers. Guest lecturers have included: Hans Florine, Jules Lines, Rosie Andrews, Fred Beckley, Greg Collins, John Harlin, Lynn Hill, Jeff Lowe, Paul Piana, Marc Richey, Doug Scott, Mark Wilford, and Jimmy Chin.
- SHARE! We manage a forum where members can communicate and post impromptu climbing trips and discuss climbing issues.
- MEET! We gather for a monthly meeting to discuss club business, socialize, and learn from guest lecturers.
- SUPPORT! We have grant programs available for members to apply to each year. Programs include the Expedition Grant (max $500), Single-Pitch Instructor (SPI) Test Reimbursement Grant ($400), Women’s Leadership Grant ($600) and the Wilderness First Responder Reimbursement Grant ($400). Details about these grants can be found under the Members Benefits Section
CONSTITUTION OF THE MOUNTAINEERING SECTION, POTOMAC APPALACHIAN TRAIL CLUB